When I was a kid, anything that looked “mushy” didn’t appeal to me. Baked beans, cottage cheese and yogurt were probably on that list. Any salad of sort was definitely on the list. Egg salad? Heck no. Tuna salad? Didn’t eat it until I was a teenager. Macaroni salad? Avoided. One salad grew on me a little more quickly than any other – potato salad. I could get behind a salad full of potatoes.
Since my taste has matured, I’ve grown to love different types of potato salad, not just the recipes that involve mayonnaise (not that there’s anything wrong with that). I enjoy potato salad with strong flavors like dill or Dijon or garlic. Sometimes it’s the perfectly complimentary side…especially during the summer!
Potato salad is a staple side at summer barbeques and meals. I really like this lightened up version. The combination of herbs and Dijon mustard is spicy and refreshing. It super simple to make and even easier to eat. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds small new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- In a large pot, combine potatoes and salt. Cover the potatoes with water, enough to cover by one inch. Boil the water and potatoes over high heat and then reduce the heat to medium low. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain the potatoes and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- In a food processor, combine olive oil, parsley, green onions, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Blend until combined.
- Drizzle the olive oil mix over the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the celery to the bowl and mix. Garnish with any additional parsley or green onions.
Original recipe from Cookie + Kate
Make stuffed cucumber cups from Brunch with Joy
Bake chocolate chip banana bread blondies from Love & Olive Oil
Drink this banana peanut butter green smoothie from Pastry Affair
Try cucumber apple green gazpacho from Love & Lemons
1. It’s official! A cat cafe is opening in east Austin. I can’t wait!
2. Muffin tin meals. One bite dinner sounds perfect to me.
3. This is the best news I’ve heard in a while…Limited Too is coming back!!!
4. Did you hear about the story from Portland, ME this week? Pretty interesting. What are your thoughts?!
5. Blue Bell ice cream is on its way to being back on the shelves. Which flavor are you most excited to see?