Chocolate coconut cupcakes are light and full of flavor. Plus, you can adapt them for almost any occasion! Why use a box mix recipe when you can make homemade cupcakes in less than an hour?
Note: This post is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by the National Football League (NFL) or any of its teams. All opinions and views expressed on our blogs are our own, not that of the NFL and/or any of its 32 teams. Any team names, logos or other symbols referenced are properties of their respective organizations. We are just big fans — and we want to share our love for our teams, the game and the food that brings us all together on game day
I try not to be braggy on the blog, but I have to brag a little bit today. Can you blame me? Look at these cupcakes! I think they’re the best cupcakes I’ve made to date. I was pretty happy with my sangria cupcakes, but these take the cake (see what I did there?). While the recipe technically has two parts, these chocolate coconut cupcakes come together easily with simple, every day ingredients.
A few weeks ago, we celebrated Bud’s birthday with these little gems. Two of Bud’s favorite flavors are chocolate and coconut. Luckily, those two flavors make a great combination for cupcakes! He also happens to be a huge fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars. I couldn’t help but make the cupcakes Jaguars themed! The color of the frosting is a little shocking, but it matches the football team’s colors almost perfectly! I’m so happy with the result. Gold sprinkles tie the cupcakes together and adds a final touch of Jaguars flair.
While homemade cupcakes may seem difficult, these chocolate coconut cupcakes are simple! The ingredients for the chocolate coconut bake base come together in about 10 minutes and then only need to bake for 20. The most difficult part of the recipe is waiting for the cream cheese and butter to soften for the frosting! Once the cakes have cooled, they’re ready to frost! I found this video super helpful when first learning how to frost cupcakes.
While you don’t have to use food coloring for the frosting, it definitely makes the cupcakes festive! Once they cupcakes are frosted and decorated, they’re ready to eat!
Make sure to check out over 60 other football related recipes from some of my food blogger friends!
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 drops blue food coloring
- 30 drops green food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, sugar and coconut oil until combined. Stir in the vanilla and set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Give the mix a good stir to combine the ingredients.
- Once combined, make a well in the dry ingredients and add the coconut milk mixture. Mix until combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Spoon the mix evenly into the cupcake liners until each tin is bout 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out cleanly.
- Once baked, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the softened cream cheese and softened butter. Beat on medium until well combined.
- With the mixer on a low speed, gradually add in the powdered sugar until each reaches your desired consistency. Add more powdered sugar for a thinner frosting.
- Once the frosting reaches the desired consistency, add the salt, vanilla and food coloring (only if you want teal frosting).
- Frost your cupcakes and add desired toppings!
Red Sea Party Punch by Celebrating Family
Bird Gang Sonoran Nachos by Love Bakes Good Cakes
GameDay Cheesecake Bars by Body Rebooted
Healthy Dirty Bird Dip by Dash of Herbs
Purple Potato Salad by The Culinary Compass
Chocolate Blackberry Cheesecake Parfait by Mom’s Messy Miracles
Easy Buffalo Chicken Sliders by Beer Girl Cooks
Quick and Easy Baked Buffalo Chicken Sliders by The Life Jolie
Blackened Steak + Blue Cheese Nachos by Feast + West
Easy Pimiento Cheese Crackers by Family Food on the Table
Chicago-Style Deep Dish Breadsticks by Honey & Birch
Italian Beef by Bread Booze Bacon
Welcome to the Jungle Cocktail by Love & Flour
Bengal Striped Bundt Cake by Foodtastic Mom
Polish Boy Potato Skins by A Mind Full Mom
Sweet and Salty Brownies by The Secret Ingredient Is
Cowboy Cookies by The BakerMama
Cowboy Chili by See Aimee Cook
Green Chili Pulled Pork Poutine by Cake ‘n Knife
Blue and Orange Jello Shot Gummies by Sustaining the Powers
Greek Town Loaded Potato Skins by The Mexitalian
Marbled Scotcharoos by Club Narwhal
Beer Cheese Fondue by Off the Eaten Path
Easy Beer Cheese Soup by Hello Little Home
Chicken Stack Sandwich by Around My Family Table
Bratwurst Sandwiches with Pub Mustard by What A Girl Eats
Game Day Cupcakes by Polka Dotted Blue Jay
Brownie Batter Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes by Two Places at Once
Tomahawk Cooler by Mixplorology
Spicy Jalapeno Popper Cheese Dip with Real Cheese by Simplify, Live, Love
Game Day Snack Tray by Coffee Love Travel
Bacon Mac Cups by West via Midwest
South Beach Punch by 2 Cookin Mamas
Miami Mahi Mahi Sandwich by foodbyjonister
Swedish Meatball Dip with Tater Tot Dunkers by Peanut Blossom
Fruity Dessert Pizza with Peanut Butter Chocolate Glaze by Bucket List Tummy
New England Rum Punch by Order in the Kitchen
Crawfish Etouffee by The Speckled Palate
Cajun Crawfish Fritters with Remoulade Dipping Sauce by For the Love of Food
Reuben Sliders with Homemade Russian Dressing by A Dish of Daily Life
Big Blue Cheese Steak Stromboli by Simple and Savory
Spinach & Artichoke Bites by Lauren’s Kitchen
Herb Pesto Arancini by A Little Gathering
Beluga Lentil Hummus by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Philly Cheesesteak Nachos by And She Cooks
Philly Cheesesteak Cheesecake by Nik Snacks
Game Day Cookie Cups by Me and My Pink Mixer
Primanti Style Sliders by Macheesmo
Pineapple Salsa by Living Well Kitchen
Tex Mex Cream Cheese Wontons with Bacon by Shaws Simple Swaps
Blue Cheese Blitz Dip by Cafe Terra
Chicken Adobo Fries by Brunch-n-Bites
Game Day Candy Bark by Life’s Ambrosia
Chicken Teriyaki Pizza by Loves Food, Loves to Eat
High Seas Sour Cherry Slush by Lizzy is Dizzy
Buffalo Chicken Deviled Eggs by Casa de Crews
Avery Williamson American Cake by Loaves & Dishes
Game Day Sriracha-Honey Nut Mix by An Oregon Cottage
Double-Stuffed Potato Skins by A Simpler Grace
Red Skin Potato Chili Nachos by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen